priordivergence: (Default)
Tris Prior ([personal profile] priordivergence) wrote2014-11-17 08:57 pm
Entry tags:

It's gonna be colder, now you've forced open the door

With my splinted hand, Sassy and Shevaun have relegated me to front desk duty for the next three weeks. It's standard policy for an injured employee, gleaned from their own experience that and employee must rest and heal to return to full effectiveness. It doesn't make this easy, sitting still and processing payments and new memberships. I'd rather strap my left arm securely to my chest and run, even if it puts me at risk.

Without running,  I just feel adrift, useless. I'm just left alone with my thoughts.

I can't outrun them.

Sighing, I almost forget to plaster on a smile when I hear the door chime. "Welcome to Off the Wall."
lightningcole: (soft look)

[personal profile] lightningcole 2014-11-18 02:17 am (UTC)(link)
"I was hoping you'd be here," Cole says as he steps in. He's not dressed in his usual workout gear, but rather just jeans and a tee shirt. He leans against the counter and taps her splint. "Doesn't look so bad, now that it's all cleaned up." He's beating around the bush. There's a reason he's here, clearly, but he's not sure how to get to the point.
lightningcole: (lookin' up)

[personal profile] lightningcole 2014-11-18 02:33 am (UTC)(link)
He sighs. "Look, Tris, I'm sorry. I'm the kind of guy that takes care of people. I never wanted to be, but that's who I am, and . . . it's hard to shake. It's not you, specifically, okay? It's everyone. It's just how I function."
lightningcole: (sad puppy)

[personal profile] lightningcole 2014-11-18 03:03 am (UTC)(link)
"I know," he says softly. "I don't think you're weak, I just . . . I'm protective of people." He smiles a little wanly. "Trish is . . . she was my girlfriend. She died, falling from a building. I couldn't save her." He hadn't been fast enough. For all his power, he hadn't been fast enough.
lightningcole: (soft look)

[personal profile] lightningcole 2014-11-18 03:15 am (UTC)(link)
"Me, too," he says. Then he sighs. "I don't think you're weak, Tris. I know you're not. But that doesn't mean I'm not gonna try to take care of you, when I can. That's not some reflection on you, y'know? It's . . . more a reflection on me." He can't not take care of people. He can't not protect them. It's who he is. It's what he does. He can't turn that off.
lightningcole: (side-eye)

[personal profile] lightningcole 2014-11-19 08:53 pm (UTC)(link)
"Look, maybe it's not easy for you to get, but I don't exactly do well with people falling off buildings." His voice comes out angrier than he wants it to. "I'm sorry if my reaction was less than rational."
lightningcole: (sad puppy)

[personal profile] lightningcole 2014-11-20 01:34 pm (UTC)(link)
"I'm not—" His voice starts to come out raised, so Cole stops talking immediately and composes himself. His jaw works a little, then he nods and tries again. He's much calmer when he says, "I'm not trying to treat you like a weakling. I'm treating you the way a person treats someone when they've been freaked out by something that traumatized them." He takes another deep breath and pushes through it. "And that had some unfortunate side effects for you. It wasn't fair to you, but I couldn't stop it, Tris."
lightningcole: (soft look)

[personal profile] lightningcole 2014-11-20 07:37 pm (UTC)(link)
Cole watches her, then nods and offers his hand. "I'll forgive you if you forgive me?" he says hopefully.
lightningcole: (curious)

[personal profile] lightningcole 2014-11-21 02:00 pm (UTC)(link)
Cole makes sure not to be too gentle when he shakes her hand, but he also doesn't try to inflict pain. He's not a dick. He's just . . . trying to show her that he's going to try to stop treating her differently, just because he feels protective of her.

"So, we good? You gonna show me any new moves?"
lightningcole: (hiya)

[personal profile] lightningcole 2014-11-23 05:31 am (UTC)(link)
Cole holds up a hand. "I could still fix that for you," he reminds. He won't do it, not without her permission, but the offer is there.
lightningcole: (lookin' up)

[personal profile] lightningcole 2014-11-23 04:43 pm (UTC)(link)
"Alright," he says with an easy shrug. "I just hope you don't go nuts waiting to get back to it." He grins a little, because the part of him that had panicked at seeing her fall was now taking a little bit of sick pleasure, knowing she'd be frustrated and unable to do anything. Serves her right.
lightningcole: (curious)

[personal profile] lightningcole 2014-11-23 05:02 pm (UTC)(link)
"I'm pretty sure nobody actually likes being useless," he points out. "I'm happy to kick back and relax, but if I lost my powers, or something? I'd hate it."
lightningcole: (soft look)

[personal profile] lightningcole 2014-11-24 07:04 pm (UTC)(link)
"Powers aren't all they're cracked up to be," he says. "I speak from experience, remember."
lightningcole: (Default)

[personal profile] lightningcole 2014-11-26 12:13 pm (UTC)(link)
"Hey, you got by without 'em," he reminds. "Seems like you did just fine." To be fair, he doesn't know her whole history. Every time they've come close to talking about it, the subject has been changed, one way or another.
lightningcole: (soft look)

[personal profile] lightningcole 2014-11-30 12:58 pm (UTC)(link)
"Try not to, okay?" he says gently. "Wondering is a real good way of making yourself crazy. What-ifs suck, no matter what you're what-iffing."
lightningcole: (soft look)

[personal profile] lightningcole 2014-12-03 01:03 am (UTC)(link)
"Hey, don't apologize," he says gently. "You're here now, yeah? Try to make the most of it." He smiles and gently grips her shoulder.
lightningcole: (soft look)

[personal profile] lightningcole 2014-12-08 04:14 pm (UTC)(link)
"Well, you ever want advice, you know where to find me," Cole says gently. "I'll see what I can do, okay?"